Thursday, April 14, 2011

April Awareness

Did you know April is Parkinsons Disease Awareness Month? I just found out myself. Actually, I thought it was Autism Awareness Month, but with more illnesses than there are months in a year, I guess we have to double up.
My dad was diagnosed with Parkinsons when I was young (er, some form of it) and passed away when  I was 17. This has certainly raised  my threshold for emotional stress and definitely increased my compassion and adoration  for elderly/sick people (still trying to figure out why I love Mexican babies so much). There was this one time when I was kid he asked me to make him a cup of coffee (the instant kind) and I woke up in the middle of the night realizing I had totally forgotten to make it for him. You can only imagine the guilt I felt, years later, when it came out that drinking coffee reduces the risks for Parkinsons. As if that one cup would've made all the difference!
But this is a blog about SCONES, not dead dads. Bare with me.
In my years working at the tea room, we've had a few customers battling cancer and can only stomach scones during chemo treatments. The few times I've made scones specifically for these people, I've made sure to add an extra helping of love and good vibes.
Enter Wilbur. He and his wife love my scones. Wilbur was recently diagnosed with Parkinsons disease and it really struck me. What do you do when love and good vibes aren't enough?
Here comes the SUPER SCONE!
I've designed a scone with all super food ingredients. Cherries, dark chocolate, matcha powder, and cinnamon. Protein counter acts a medication used to treat Parkinsons, (thank you pharm tech sister)  so instead of using eggs, I used some of that magic greek yogurt Dr. Oz keeps talking about. They were pretty dense. The cherries and chocolate taste great together and you could hardly notice the green tea and cinnamon, but I knew it was there, with all it's free radical fighting power!
Ok, so  I had this fantasy that my little Super Scone would cure Parkinsons Disease and Michael J. Fox would be my new best friend and I'd make my rounds on the morning show circuit...but in reality, it's just a scone. No, it's a Super Scone. And Wilbur liked it. To me, that's all that matters.
But, seriously,  how cool would it be to be BFF with MJFox?

1 comment: